We had our second staycation over the weekend, just the Hubby and me, at One Farrer Hotel and Spa near Farrer Park MRT station.
One thing unique about the hotel was their complimentary minibar offering. I was used to seeing hotels charge crazy prices for a pack of crisps you can get cheap as chips in the next door 7-11. One Farrer’s minibar selection was decent: three sodas, three snack packs (roasted nuts, Oriental snacks and gummy bears) and a pack of Lay’s.
Slightly disappointed with the frazzled breakfast staff — no coffee offered until we asked and they didn’t refill the dishes fast enough.
That said, because the hotel was fully booked we got a complimentary upgrade to the family “Urban Den” which had a separate space for kids to sleep and even watch their own TV shows (there was a daybed and a pullout, see middle photo below). So I’m still keeping this hotel in mind for when Hubby and I both have our families visiting at the same time.
The Hubby’s family coming over to visit last week was precisely the reason why we were able to escape overnight anyway. Whenever we have family over we try and go on these mini-staycations while we’re sure we’re leaving Squishy in a lot of safe hands.
I think these little escapes from being mom/dad are important.
According to John Medina’s book ‘Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five,’ “more than 80 percent of couples experience a huge drop in marital quality during the transition to parenthood.” In fact, “in some marriages, having a baby is actually a risk factor for divorce.”*
And the fact that new parents fight a lot in baby’s first year is not the worst part of it. What’s worse is its consequences for baby:
Sustained exposure to hostility can erode a baby’s IQ and ability to handle stress, sometimes dramatically. An infant’s need for caregiver stability is so strong, he will rewire his developing nervous system depending upon the turbulence he perceives.
This is worrying news for us new parents. How do we avoid fighting with our partners in baby’s stressful first year?
For us, Date Night is especially sacred — one dinner (or even a movie night or weekend brunch) every week when it’s just Hubby and me. It’s time reserved for us — we can chat about how our week went, show each other funny things we found on YouTube, catch up on the latest Game of Thrones spoilers.
Sometimes talk turns to Squishy. But we try and steer the conversation back to us, to him and me before we were three. 🙂
Try it. It doesn’t even have to be a special date night. Hold hands while walking back home from the MRT. If you work near each other, catch up over lunch. Give each other a sweet surprise — a takeaway tray of his/her favorite char kway teow, a mushy Whatsapp message, or a really tight hug.
Your kids will thank you for it.
Scroll down for another sweet surprise…
Here it comes, my very first giveaway!
The MamaDramaSG Sweet Hamper Giveaway ♥
What better way to spend a Friday night than lounging on the couch with your special sweetie, guzzling champagne and eating treats from the glamorous Subtle Sweet Hamper — for free?
Here’s your chance to make that happen!
Check out my blog’s Facebook page @themamadramasg (I hope you like it enough to give it a thumbs up!) and enter using the link below to win the following free goodies:
– A bottle of Wine/Champagne (Producta Bolero VDT Bordeaux Rouge, 750ml)
– Artisan Du Chocolat Chocolate Salted Caramel Honeycomb, 150g
– Ocelot Chocolate – Salted Marcona Almonds, 75g
– La Belle Chaurienne Terrine, 180g
– Cartwright & Butler Linseed & Sesame Seed Flatbreads
– Luxury Gold Tin with Twin Pack Biscuits, 300g
– Gift Hampers Singapore Signature Basket
Cool, right? Some T&Cs for you to carefully read before entering:
Terms & Conditions (Please read):
– This giveaway is open only to parents resident in Singapore.
– This is not a sponsored promotion and I am not affiliated with Gift Hampers Singapore, and accept no liability related to their services. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. We hereby release Facebook of any liability.
– The giveaway starts 17 Jun 2016 and ends 01 Jul 2016.
– Your personal details are entered through the @GleamApp and I have no access to these. I will only be able to see the details of the winner automatically selected by the app.
– There will be one winner. The winner will be contacted by email 24 hours after the giveaway ends. If there is no response within 48 hours, I reserve the right to draw another winner.
– I reserve the right to replace the prize hamper with a hamper of materially equivalent value if the prize hamper is out of stock.
– The hamper will be sent at standard delivery times/days, at the address specified by the winner. No special requests for delivery requiring additional charges on my part will be entertained.
Good luck! 🙂
Enter the giveaway here:
* All quotes in this post are from Medina’s book.